Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Starting School

The school year is off with a bang as four of five family members trot back to class. Jarod began second grade at Traeger Elementary in Oshkosh. He has a wonderful teacher and a great assistant, and he is spending his entire day in the regular room! He has received very positive comments from his teachers so far, and he is already doing homework, counting by 2's, 5's and 10's to 100, or reading for fifteen minutes per day.

Maria's first words when she got home from school were, "Mom, kindergarten rocked!" And she meant it, too. She loved coloring, recess, gym class, and making friends. She enjoys her teacher, and she talks mostly about her boy classmates. Tomorrow she has to wear red clothes to school because the class is studying different colors each day--tomorrow is red.

Natalie also transitioned well to school. We made a picture schedule for her so she could see how her day would progress, and it helped alleviate some of her anxiety. She had her hair cut the other night, and she looks like a little elf, if I do say so myself. It also minimizes Maria's hack job on her bangs from a month ago!

My return to school has gone well, though it's not just my own classes as a teacher, but as a student. The first two days of school I also had my first two days of grad class. My students at school amuse me (though I think they see me as totally insane), and my grad classes will be challenging--and a lot of work! I'm trying not to freak out too much, and take it a week at a time. Most devastating, of course, was realizing my grad class interferes with my ability to watch Project Runway Wednesday nights! A travesty! :):)

Chris has been awesome this week. He's been super productive, has gotten the kids off to school and such, just taking it all in stride. Friday we're planning to take the kids swimming at the Y and have a bonfire that evening. My folks are taking the kids overnight this weekend so Chris and I can have alone time and clean the entire basement. It's romantic among the dust bunnies!

Time to get to bed. Chat soon!

No comments: